Living in Meadowvale Village
At first blush Meadowvale Village appears no different than most of the Mississauga neighbourhoods located in this part of the City; except that pockets of homes on certain streets appear somewhat larger and have heritage features as part of their design. But where to find the actual “village” the historical district from which this neighbourhood takes its name. The clue can be found in the street name Old Derry Road that runs west off Derry Road. Once you are on Old Derry Road you will quickly come upon the old village and pass landmarks such as the Rutherglen School that commands a street presence painted white brick 19th century Georgian mansion. Next you will pass the Meadowvale Conservation Area followed by a green painted steel bridge that serves as an overpass across the Credit River.
History of Meadowvale Village
The first settlers to lay eyes on tis area were awestruck by its natural beauty; hence the name Meadowvale was chosen for this community. The first settlers consisted of a dozen or so families from the United States who were loyal to the British Crown and were granted land in Canada with the provision they clear their land for farming and build a suitable dwelling for their families. These pioneers had travelled a great distance from New York City led by a man named John Beatty. Beatty’s followers originally included 29 families; only the most industrious and hearty of the group made it this far with a large contingent settling further south in Port Credit.
In 1831 Beatty was selected by the Wesleyan Methodist Church to be the Steward of their Academy in Cobourg. Beatty sold his property to John Crawford who would open a sawmill and spearhead the harvesting of the abundant white pine in the area which was valuable for ship-building. By 1836 Meadowvale’s population had reached village status. More mills would begin operating along the Credit river. The most successful of these millers would ultimately be the Gooderham and Worts company who began operations here in 1860. At its peak the Gooderham and Worts mill produced 300 barrels of wheat a day.
When the Credit Valley Railway opened in 1879 it bypassed Meadowvale which was a blow to the local economy. The vanishing pine forest which had been largely harvested by the late 1800s was another blow, as was the Gooderham and Worts company pulling up stakes for greener pastures. So by the 1900s Meadowvale was no longer the prominent commercial centre it had once been. However; Meadowvale and its citizens endured and in the pioneer spirit of their forefathers and mothers, most Meadowvale residents managed to eke out a decent living as the City of Mississauga gradually encroached on their doorstep. This proud community has retained a remarkable number of homes from their pioneer village days and as a result in 1980 Meadowvale was awarded the distinction of being Ontario’s first Heritage Conservation District, an honour well deserved.
Homes in Meadowvale Village
The heart of Meadowvale Village off Old derry Road contains numerous historical homes combined with he occasional new home. The streets are rustic and the lots are big and well treed making this feel more like a rural village. The homes have a great deal of character but are not showey. Many of these houses back or front onto the Credit River Valley Conservation Area which makes for a beautiful setting.
Ringing the old village core are heritage inspired subdivisions with newer townhomes and detached homes. These houses have nice front porches and decorative verge board gables. The one obvious difference between these newer homes and their older village counterparts are the placement of the garages at the front rather than the rear of the home.
Lifestyle in Meadowvale Village
Meadowvale Village feels more rural than urban even though it is ringed with subdivisions. The historic village off Old Derry Road is rustic and charming. Even though it feels somewhat secluded Meadowvale Village is just minutes from the Toronto airport and the Mississauga City Centre. This is a very much a family oriented neighbourhood so the local schools play a prominent role in the community. Heartland Town Centre located at the Corner of Mavis and Britannia, is one of Canada’s largest and most successful Power Centres. This shopping destination offers over 180 stores and services so it is easy to spend a morning or afternoon at this shopping mall.
Recreation in Meadowvale Village
The Meadowvale Conservation located at 1081 Old Derry Road West at the end of Second Line just north of Old Derry Road, offers fishing, picnic areas with barbecues and a nature trail. Meadowvale Village Hall located at 6970 Second Line West in the heart of historic Meadowvale Village, is a 19th century one room school house that today serves as a community hub and meeting room for up to 100 people. Meadowvale Hall has all the convenience of a modern hall and is located in a beautiful parkland setting.
Arts in Meadowvale Village
Meadowvale Theatre located at 6315 Montevideo Rd, has been entertaining Meadowvale residents since 1989, with live theatre, music, drama, comedy, dance, and musicals. Meadowvale Theatre is an intimate space that is perfect for live performances.
Transportation in Meadowvale Village
Highway 401 forms the southern boundary of this neighbourhood and the toll highway 407 skirts the north boundary of the neighbourhood. Both commuter highways can get relatively quickly to all points in the GTA. MiWay operates bus service lines throughout the neighbourhood. The Streetsville Go Station located at 45 Thomas Street off Mississauga Road takes passengers all the way to Union Station in downtown Toronto.