Living in Dixie
Dixie is located in south east Missississauga. Density here is higher than in most parts of Mississauga and there are also a fair number of rentals. Dixie has been a starting point for many new Canadians over the years as it offers affordable rentals and close proximity to public transit.
History of Dixie
This crossroads community sprung up around the four corners of Dundas and Cawthra where a toll booth was erected on the busy Dundas Highway which ran from Lake Ontario to London, Ontario. Weary travellers would often stop for a drink at William Cody’s tavern. Ironically, Cody would be a key figure in the building of the Union Chapel directly across the street from his tavern and inn. In 1837 the first Union Chapel- which was wood and destroyed by fire – was replaced with a stone chapel which is still standing today at 707 Dundas Street East. Behind the Dixie Union Chapel is the pioneer cemetery that is the final resting place of many of this areas first settlers. Some of the graves in this cemetery date back to 1812.
This pioneer community was originally known as “Irishtown” but from the 1850s henceforth became known as Dixie, named after a revered local doctor named Beaumont Dixie. While three of Dixie’s four corners no longer resemble their pioneer roots the exception is the north-east corner where the Dixie Union Chapel and cemetery have survived along with the St.Johns church built in 1870 and the Dixie Presbyterian Church which dates back to 1922.